Monday, April 26, 2010

They rise and then they fall

Must I sit for hours in meditation to overcome the things that hinder me from presence? I do notice that I feel most connected, most balanced after I have spent quality time with what I call "practice" or "loving myself," that is intentional time/space to connect with ONE. I do this through prayer, visualization, imagery, service to others, tarot reading and reflection, breathing, self-massage, dancing and yoga. Sometimes drawing, singing...


Even so, I am generally very reflective...that means, my mind is usually active.


I could probably meditate more, but we'll see.


Emotions will arise.

And then they will fall.


I'm learning.

I trust.

I am patient.

I am love.


Jack Kornfield, Obstacles and Vicissitudes in Spiritual Practice. Spiritual Emergency


Notes:


The practice of working with our emotions is to allow them to arise and to observe them with awareness, to let them be/go. Living in the present moment with concentrated attention (meditating).


Or subliminate it meaning to take that energy of difficulty and use it outwardly or inwardly.


Example:

Outward: Exercise, do something different

Inward: Do exercises for moving energy within the body



The 5 hindrances to being present according to Budhist teaching:


1. desire and wanting

2. aversion- anger and dislike, judgement and fear- (states that push away experience)

3. sleepiness dullnes and lethargy (or resistance to experience)

4. agitation and restlessness of mind

5. doubt- “it’s not possible” “I can’t”



No comments: